Ag Committee Approves Bipartisan Legislation to Reauthorize and Improve the Commodity Futures Trading Commission
The House Agriculture Committee approved H.R. 4413, the Customer Protection and End-User Relief Act, by voice vote.
WASHINGTON - Today, the House Agriculture Committee held a hearing to review the development, implementation and regulation of new technologies used in the meat industry to improve safety and quality.
“Over the past several decades, technology has improved the quality and safety of meat products available to consumers,” Agriculture Committee Chairman Collin Peterson said. “This hearing is a good opportunity to educate the Committee and the public about some of these new and emerging technologies being used in the meat industry.”
“It is good for the Committee to be brought up to speed on the food technologies being developed to help deliver safe, high-quality, affordable food to the American consumer," Agriculture Committee Ranking Member Bob Goodlatte said.
The opening statements of all the witnesses are available on the Committee website, and a full transcript of the hearing will be posted on the Committee website at a later date.
· Dr. Phil Minerich, Vice President, Research and Development, Hormel Foods Corporation, Austin, Minnesota
· Mr. Scott Eilert, Vice President, Research and Development, Cargill Meat Solutions, Wichita, Kansas
· Mr. Rick Roop, Senior Vice President, Science and Regulatory Affairs, Tyson Foods, Inc., Washington, D.C.
· Dr. Joseph Sebranek, Professor, Department of Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
· Mr. Alfred V. Almanza, Administrator, Food Safety Inspection Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.
o Mr. Phil Derfler, Assistant Administrator for Policy, Program and Employee Development, Food Safety Inspection Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.
o Dr. Dan Engeljohn, Deputy Assistant Administrator for Policy, Program and Employee Development, Food Safety Inspection Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.